Kansas State (0-1-1, 0-0-0 Big 12) at UTRGV (0-2-0, 0-0-0 WAC)
Thursday, August 25, 2022 | 7:30 p.m. | UTRGV Soccer and Track Complex | Brownsville, Texas
K-State leads, 1-0-0
Last meeting: Sept. 19, 2021 – Manhattan, Kan.
Last Result: K-State won, 2-0
Against the WACe: 1-0-0
Kansas State (0-1-1, 0-0-0 Big 12) at UTSA (1-0-1, 0-0-0 C-USA)
Sunday, August 28, 2022 | 12 p.m. | Park West Athletics Complex | San Antonio, Texas
CUSA.tv (subscription required)
Against Conference USA: First meeting
- ESPN+ (at UTRGV)
- Live Stats (at UTRGV)
- CUSA.tv (at UTSA – subscription required)
- Live Stats (at UTSA)
- Match Notes (pdf)
MANHATTAN, Kansas (Kansas State Athletics) – K-State (0-1-1) will begin a three-match road trip this weekend, as the Wildcats visit the state of Texas for a pair of matches. The Wildcats will face UTRGV on Thursday at 7:30 p.m., and then travel to UTSA on Sunday for a 12 p.m., kickoff.
• Both matches will be streamed online, as Thursday’s match will be available on ESPN+ while Sunday’s match will stream on CUSA.tv.
• The Wildcats are 1-0-0 against UTRGV, as the programs met in the 2021 season in Manhattan. Sunday’s match between K-State and UTSA will be the first meeting between the schools.
Last Time Out
• K-State opened its seventh season last weekend at Buser Family Park and registered a loss and a draw. The Wildcats had a lead in both matches.
• K-State dropped a 2-1 decision to Northwestern in the season-opener on Thursday, Aug. 18.
• Freshman Sophie Harlan tallied K-State’s first goal of the season with a backheel redirection of an Adah Anderson attempt in the sixth minute.
• Harlan is the second freshman in program history to score a goal in a season-opener, joining Katie Cramer from the first match in program at Saint Louis in 2016. Harlan’s tally at 5:40 was the second-earliest goal in a season-opener in program history, trailing only Cramer’s tally at 3:27 of the 2019 season-opener at Creighton.
• Against Northern Colorado, Anderson was assisted by Harlan in the 52nd minute. Harlan played a cross to Anderson, who calmly finished into the left corner for her second career goal.
• In Sunday’s match, redshirt senior goalkeeper Rachel Harris made her first start between the pipes since October 31, 2019 – a span of 1,025 days. Due to injury, Harris missed the 2020 and 2021 seasons.
K-State in Road Openers
• The Wildcats will begin its 2022 road schedule this weekend.
• Entering its seventh season of action, K-State owns a 1-4-1 record in road-openers.
• To begin its 2021 road schedule, K-State captured a 5-0 win at Austin Peay.
• Kansas State has been outscored by its opponents in the six previous road-openers, 12-9 (-3).
Wildcats Make Debuts
• K-State’s 2022 roster includes 13 newcomers including 12 true freshmen. Of the 13 newcomers, only Sydney Sharts (16 matches; Oklahoma) had collegiate soccer experience before the start of the 2022 season.
• In the opening weekend, freshmen Jazmin Brown and Sophie Harlan made their collegiate debuts in the starting lineup on Thursday night. The pair marked the first time K-State started two or more true freshmen in a season-opener since the 2017 season in which the Wildcats opened the season at Oregon State with five true freshmen in the first lineup of that season.
• In addition to Brown and Harlan, freshmen Paige Dickson, Andra Mohler and Emily Morfeld also made their collegiate debuts off the bench.
• During its brief history, K-State has seen two freshmen score in a season-opener as Katie Cramer delivered the first goal in program history scoring directly on a corner kick at Saint Louis on August 19, 2016, and Harlan tallied the first goal of the 2022 season against Northwestern.
Cats on Cusp of Century Mark
• K-State is nearing a program goals scored milestone in its seventh season of action.
• With three goals, the Wildcats will reach the 100-goal mark in program history.
• K-State set the single-season record for goals with 20 in the 2021 season.
• In its brief history, the Wildcats have seen 31 players register at least one career goal.
Early Goal Early in Season
• Freshman forward Sophie Harlan’s season-opening goal against Northwestern on Aug. 18, came historically early in the match.
• With a time of 5:40, Harlan tallied the second earliest goal in a season-opener in program history. The mark trails only Katie Cramer’s first goal at Creighton to begin the 2019 season, which came at 3:27.
• Overall, Harlan’s goal ranks as the sixth-fastest in school history. It was the second-fastest goal in school history by a K-State freshman, trailing Avery Green’s goal at Oklahoma State on Oct. 20, 2017, which clocked in at 5:20.
Harlan Opens Eyes in Debut Weekend
• Freshman forward Sophie Harlan had a historic debut weekend for the Wildcats.
• In the opening two matches, Harlan tallied a goal and an assist. She is the first freshman in program history to register a goal and an assist in the first two matches of a season.
• Harlan was the fourth freshman to record at least one point in the first two matches of a season, joining Katie Cramer (2016), Chloe Fisher (2018) and Kenzi Gillispie (2021).
• In the 6th minute of K-State’s season-opener against Northwestern on Aug. 18, Harlan used a backheel redirection of an Adah Anderson shot to score her first goal. Harlan is the second K-State freshman in program history to score a goal in a season-opener and the first since Katie Cramer scored in the first match in program history in 2016 at Saint Louis.
• Against Northern Colorado on Sunday, Harlan delivered a cross to Anderson in the 52nd minute which Anderson finished to give K-State a 1-0 lead.
Anderson Reaches Season-High
• Sophomore midfielder Adah Anderson wasted no time in 2022 in equaling her point production from her freshman season in 2021.
• The product of Kansas City, Missouri, registered a goal and an assist for three points in the two opening weekend matches.
• Against Northwestern, Anderson assisted on freshman Sophie Harlan’s goal in the sixth minute.
• Against Northern Colorado, Anderson notched a goal in the 52nd minute on an assist from Harlan.
• Along with being tied for the early team lead in 2022 for goals, assists and points, Anderson leads the Wildcats in shots with eight.
• In her career, Anderson owns two goals and two assists for six points in 20 career matches in purple.
W for Werremeyer
• Junior goalkeeper Alaina Werremeyer opened the season in net, marking her third straight season-opening start. She is the first goalkeeper in program history to start three straight season-openers.
• Against Northwestern, Werremeyer tallied eight saves. This was the 14th career match for Werremeyer in which she made five or more saves.
• In the 2021 season, Werremeyer finished with a career-best 1.54 goals against average and a save percentage of .786 with a career-high 88 saves.
• The product of Blue Springs, Missouri, ranks tied for second in program history for career matches played in goal (25) and for career starts in goal (24). She is second in program history for career minutes (2,276:14) in goal and is tied for second in program history for career wins (5)…
• Werremeyer is also second in program history for career saves (138) career saves per game (5.5) and is third in program history for career shutouts (5).
Harris Makes Return to the Pipes
• Redshirt senior goalkeeper Rachel Harris made a much anticipated return to the pitch against Northern Colorado on Aug. 21.
• After 1,025 days and missing the 2020 and 2021 seasons due to injury, Harris started against the Bears and recorded two saves and was credited with the draw. Prior to Aug. 21, Harris last started the season finale at Texas Tech on Oct. 31, 2019.
• In her 13 matches in purple, Harris owns 61 career saves and a record of 2-10-1.