K-State rolls Missouri State

| September 24, 2016 | 0 Comments

Following two hours of lightning delays, Kansas State was mercifully declared the winner at halftime of a 35-0 game Saturday night at Bill Snyder Family Stadium.

Similar to last week’s throttling of Florida Atlantic, this matchup was over before it started. The Wildcats were sharp in all phases, scoring touchdowns on five of their first six drives while holding MSU to just 54 yards of offense in the first half.

“I thought we took some steps forward,” K-State coach Bill Snyder said. “We sustained drives and the offense really started the ball game well.”

K-State quarterback Jesse Ertz completed 7 of 8 pass attempts for 94 yards and two touchdowns in less than two quarters of action. He also led the team in rushing with 85 yards on just three carries.

The Wildcats’ second touchdown came on a 19-yard pass that was intended for tight end Dayton Valentine, but when he bobbled the throw into the air, Byron Pringle was there to grab it for his first touchdown at K-State.

“I thought collectively it was a better ball game for him; he made some nice plays,” Snyder said.

Defense and special teams played a large role in K-State’s offense for a second consecutive week. The Wildcats (2-1) forced two turnovers, blocked a punt and had a 43-yard punt return by Pringle. K-State’s average starting field position on its eight drives was its own 49 yard line.

Backup quarterback Alex Delton took over for the final two drives and completed 3 of 5 passes.

Winston Dimel, who scored four touchdowns a week ago, registered two more on short runs in the red zone. Charles Jones scored one as well, but was benched for the rest of the half after nearly dropping the ball before he crossed the goal line, which has been an epidemic in college football this season.

At halftime, K-State announced the second half would be delayed. Exactly an hour later, the decision was made to waive the final 30 minutes of action.

Snyder was not altogether in favor of calling the game early, saying he wanted some of his backups to get some experience.

“We have a lot of twos and threes that we wanted to get in the ballgame,” Snyder said. “I understand there’s more (weather) coming, and they had to take a bus here, so that was going to be a long time. I get it.”

MSU (2-1) finished the game averaging just 1.9 yards per play. The Bears were without starting quarterback Breck Ruddick due to a suspension.

K-State opens Big 12 play next week at West Virginia. Snyder said he isn’t sure if his team is ready for the challenges over the next nine weeks.

“You have to ask me after we return from West Virginia,” he said. “I’d like to think we’re getting closer, truly, but I don’t know yet.”

Share Button

Category: Featured, Postgame Wrap up

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.